Saturday, August 6, 2011

Personal Milestone Smashed! 50 Books This Year

On Thursday I passed a massive milestone for me. I've read 50 books in 2011. I know some book readers will consider that a fairly small number, but for the past six or so years, I've been averaging about 10 books a year, including rereads.

I couldn't be happier with my progress. I'm starting to love fiction again and finally emerging from my "all work, no play" reality-induced lifestyle.

The increase was prompted by two factors:

a) My company moved location, so I'm now catching a bus and getting home about an hour and a half earlier. I quickly filled that time with reading.

b) I got a Kindle. I'm sampling more new authors and authors who are in the social space. A combination of liking the samples and liking the writers themselves is making me buy more than I ever have before. The more I buy, the more I feel the burning need to get through my massive to-read list. Who says an electronic library squared away on your digital device doesn't hold you as accountable as a pile of paper books on your shelf?

I'm not going to change my 2011 goalposts on Goodreads, although I am curious to see how far I can go.

I haven't been keeping track of the screenplays I've read this year, but I imagine that number is around 20-25. They were all for beta reading purposes.

Anyone else recently pass a milestone they are happy about?

2 comments:

  1. I'm in the same boat as you, actually. I've only read 41 books in 2011 thus far, but I've already beat all my records of previous years. Having an e-reader definitely makes reading easy and convenient. It definitely feels good. I like the author-engagement of the e-publishing era, it makes you feel like an active participant in a community rather than just a passive consumer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely. Although I'm sure all the Indie authors I'm following are growing a little nervous over their new stalker, erm, fan.

    ReplyDelete